Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Space Between

After completing my last project, I have been working on some crochet granny squares, using up scraps from my stash.  I have been crocheting a lot longer than I have been knitting, so its very easy for me to whip up these little guys. 

But it also reminds me of why I like knitting better.  My default crochet project was always granny squares, which meant breaking off and tying on new yarn, a lot.  Which I hate.  Which is why I knit, because you can carry yarn when you need to change colors. 

I also don't like the spaces that crochet leaves in a project.  Everybody in the entire world has a granny square afghan somewhere in the house that no one wants to use because their toes poke through the holes when you cover your feet with it.  And yet we keep on making granny square afghans.  Like the one I'm making now.

I found a great use recently for some swatches I made last year from my Yarn-of-the-Month-Club selections.
Coasters!!  I used some iron on interfacing to back them and keep them from curling around the edges.  I love this idea.  I think I must have seen something on Pinterest that made me think of the idea, or else I stole it from someone.  That's entirely possible.

swatch coasters backed with iron on interfacing