Saturday, February 16, 2013

Grand Central

PERSONAL
In the middle of every home is a kitchen where people congregate and bump into one another.  It is sometimes a pain, other times a blessing to bump into each other.  What we really need to remember is that it is a privilege and a blessing to 1) have someone to bump into and 2) have someplace to bump into other people/pets.
Julia Child in the kitchen

I was blessed to be a part of a team helping a lady and her daughter move yesterday, and I noticed these 2 things.  Its a good thing to have companions around, either visiting or permanently. And its a wonderful thing to have a place like a kitchen where you get to heat up a cup of tea or coffee, pour a bowl of cereal and put away a few groceries.  Sometimes we take these important elements of civilization for granted.   Take a minute if you will, and thank the Lord for providing these things, if you have them!!  Many do not!

SPINNING
While it would be great to spin for hours at a time, I'm content lately to just spin and card whenever I get a minute.  Here's what's happening lately:
Wool/Angora blend

This is wool and angora blended roughly and spun with a little umph and left a little knobby.  Its 3ply and soft as all get out.  LOVE it!  By the way, Happy Valentines Day, a few days late!

There's still a lot of wool  left in my stash in the garage, to card and spin, and I'd really love to spin it all this year.  I kind of doubt that I will reach that goal at this point, but I'm still gonna try. 

What you can't see in the basket above is the rest of what I carded for this batch.  I'll probably get about 5 skeins at least from this blend, meaning about 3 more.
Can I tell you how I figured this out?  In a very low tech way, I paper clipped all the un-spun wool/angora blend in a large baggie to one end of a knitting needle, then paper clipped those two skeins to the other end of the needle and made a make shift scale.  The bag of wool was much heavier so....do the math.  Roughly.

KNITTING
When I started the Walnut Socks, I also started this pair of socks.


I've been carrying them with me everywhere.  Lots of fun to knit with a little ripple pattern at the top.



These have a slip stitch heel, which looks amazing great.  The yarn seems to be a cotton blend so its not very elastic, but these are footies I hope to wear in the summer, so the cotton thing is a bonus. I got the yarn from my friend Suzanne's stash months ago. 
Don't you like them already?