The color of this yarn is pretty close to Walnut, don't ya think? I LOVE the earthy colors and the heathered look of the yarn!
I'm almost finished with sock #1, and mostly just have to get into the decreases and close the toe. Let me tell you, making "footies" as opposed to full blown socks is
| Walnut sock yarn on white linen handspun, handwoven bag |
Even if you've never taken anatomy in school, this next picture should be worth checking out. Why, you ask? To make a sock fit, certain aspects of shaping have to be present.
First, the cuff has to have some elasticity. Ribbing of knit 1, purl 1 gives you that in a flash. EZ.
| K1 P1 ankle ribbing, with a plain heel flap |
Heel shaping means more coverage going down and around the back of the heel, and less square footage on the front or top of the ankle. This is accomplished with a heel flap, that you later decrease back to the original number of stitches that were present in the cuff ribbing. If you care one iota about this topic, do click the link for a better visual (thanks to Lion Brand Yarn).
| Thankful for these metal sock shaping forms! |
The foot portion is usually loose, when I make socks, so I decided to add ribbing in the last portion to snug it up a bit! I'm having fun, in case you didn't notice. :-)
READING
I haven't read a bit of my novel, since my last post. #fail
SPINNING
Working on all the same stuff, so no news is just that. No news.
PERSONAL
I went to the dentist this week, to fix a broken tooth. Well, actually the dentist did the fixing, while I sat back in the chair trying to answer the dentist's questions about spinning while he and the assistant vacuumed and drilled the daylights out of a tooth three-quarters of a mile down my throat. Gee!
He did a fine job, though, and my husband had a similar procedure done as well.
I left the office rubbing my jaw and sipping water that drizzled down my face. #awkward
But, I am so thankful for my teeth! While no one ever sees those teeth in the back, they are so important when I eat. When I want to chew my favorite foods, they are there like soldiers, ready for action! Weapons of minimum destruction.
