Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Spinderella


SPINNING
 This post is going to consist of spinning because that's what I've been up to. At the start of the year, I was trying to spin and ply some yarn completely on my Turkish spindle.
Turkish singles
This little skein is just a mix and match of odd balls of leftover roving, in multiple colors and types.  I was just wanting to spin without getting too involved.  Kind of like doodling with yarn.  The purple was from those mittens, the green was from the Color of Money skein, the blue is the angora below, and the yellow-gold  was from way back; featured in this post
plied purple and yellow
plied blue and green
I was also trying out ways to ply and combine colors randomly. These kind of look like the corrosion on a car battery terminal! Don't you think?  Weird how these things come to be.
Yarn spun and plied completely on my Turkish spindle

Another WIP is this super duper soft and squishy white angora and wool.  Spun and plied on my wheel with a large whorl.


And last but not least, the gun metal blue single, spun my new Bosworth Midi spindle, but plied on my Kromski Symphony wheel! 

One skein finished! Love this spindle

PERSONAL
Not too long ago I read on Twitter about a podcast episode that focused on the benefits of keeping a journal.  The speaker even listed 7 benefits that I link to here.  One of the things that struck me was the obvious part about clarifying and processing (the mental stuff). Of course (duh!) its so obvious because that's the point.
Keeping a journal is just that - writing down what happened, and how you or I feel about it.
Such a lost art, and I realized that even though I have a large cardboard box full of journals, I stopped journaling when I started blogging.  I think it kind of accomplishes the same benefit mentioned above, but with one major difference.  Writing in a journal is writing with no audience except yourself.  When you blog, you realize you may say things that offend (and so you don't), you may say things that offer too much information (and so you keep it to yourself), you may say things that are boring and once again, you stop right there.  What a nice memory I have of my younger years spent keeping a journal, and the fun I've had, reading over them, either mortified or cheered up when I considered the events in context and with hindsight.
I just may have to start journaling again......
Oh, and I know you've been dying to ask me about whether or not I'm keeping my nails painted. Well yes, I have, thank you very much!  But what color, you ask?  I'll never tell!
Fun with my granddaughter who really wants me to paint her nails, I just know!