Monday, June 21, 2010

Fig Leaves & Temptation


Summer is here and it's hot as Hades, if you ask me. But to be fair, it's the first day of summer so I'll let it go this time.
With the heat comes the license to stay indoors in the middle of the day, unless you're at work, in which case you're already indoors!
But for me, the temptation to get outside this morning and plant those two fig trees was more than I could resist. I dug two holes in some pretty hard clay soil, laid those puppies in the holes and watered them till I had finished drinking my mason jar of water. At least I was in the shade when I planted them!
I have to point out something interesting about one of the plants. They were gifts from my dad & mom - started from existing plants in their neck of the woods. Look at how this tree was started; sideways from a branch! Isn't that cool?

It never ceases to amaze me how the most beautiful things can come from what someone else may brand a cast off and only useful for the trash heap. What great treasures we may have right at our fingertips, if only we'd stop long enough to look (and think!).
I dyed some pretty wool a while back and after looking at my wheel yesterday, and noticing there's nothing on it, I decided I needed to grab that Peacock Wool and get at it!
Some things just naturally go together!