"Yes, we just heard the news! Smittenwithknittin is going to finish the Stoney River Socks!!"
"You know, if I could knit like her, I wouldn't need this Supreme Court job."
"Elena, you know you'll never knit socks as lovely as those Stoney River socks. What do you have to smile about?"Yes, it's true, it's true. I am back to my final UFO and of course that would be the Stoney River Socks. They are so far down the road that I am into them like teenage girls at the Eclipse premiere.
The little wooden needles and cotton thread are perfect for knitting in this very warm weather. Nothing to hold in my lap; no warm fuzzy wool. No metal needles, just natural DPNs. Cool.
In the old days, one of my summer chores was to defrost my freezer. Some younger folks will not know what this means, but if you have a single gray hair on your head, you will understand. The refrigerator/freezer we had when I was first married was all one big box with a crank-arm handle to open the door. The freezer was just the upper section inside that held ice trays and kept things really cold. (my ice trays were metal then; do not lick them by the way!)
The chore involved putting everything into an ice chest, turning off the fridge and scraping out all the frost that had accumulated inside. Usually it was at least an inch or two thick by the time I got around to it, and it took a few hours to do the entire job.
So I am very thankful for a self defrosting freezer, as a modern convenience. I also appreciate the self-cleaning oven as a great time saving invention. Yesterday morning I just walked over to the stove, pressed the button and three hours later the oven was clean and all I had to do was wipe out the ash inside. Woo Hah! No more 'Easy Off' oven cleaner with gloves up to my elbows. What a breeze!