Monday we were pretty much snowed in, Tuesday was better (they plowed our street Mon. night) so you could get out if you had to, Wednesday and Thursday I went to work on very clean but still-getting-snowed-on streets. I looked out the window this morning and the snow has still not melted. When I got home yesterday, I found a little surprise out in my back yard when I went to dump the compost bucket.
(this one's not mine but illustrates my point)
We have two heating/cooling units; one for upstairs and one for downstairs. The upstairs unit was completed wrapped with snow, inside and out. All the lines were covered with about an inch of snow and ice and it was not twirling at all. Normally there is some movement, but I think it had given up at least 24 hours prior. So I spent a couple of hours scraping, dousing, and blow drying the whole she-bang. If I could have said last rites over it, it would have been appropriate. Today I'm hoping for a miracle. A resurrection if you will. I'm praying for my little upstairs unit to come to life, so I won't have to call the heating and cooling undertaker. :-(
The other night my DH asked if I had any of my grandmother's old knitted slippers that he could wear. I found an old pair of socks, but there was a little puff of smoke where I had been standing, once I handed them over. You know it girl! I was in the garage at the speed of light, finding some yarn to knit him some of "Granny's Slippers".
The thing I always hated about them was that there was a big hole in each toe. What's up with that?? Why would anyone design slippers with a hole in each one, on purpose? So, I started the slippers at the back, going back and forth, and switched to knitting in the round from the instep to the toe. I will do decreases and maybe even a Kitchener Stitch closure. Either way, I am bound and determined to build a better mouse trap!
The yarn is of course acrylic. Gold, cause I'm out of the navy from the Kinder Mitts. I had bought three skeins of yarn a few years ago when my daughter was in art school. Her classmate was doing a fashion design project and needed some knitted hats (I think... I can hardly remember!) so I still have the leftovers in my stash. I'm using my new needles from Knit Picks; the nickle plated circular, size 7. Actually I've already started the ribbing, so I'm now using bamboo DPNs, same size.
Granny always finished off each pair with an alternate color crochet trim and a pom pom. Should I? I'm not sure my husband would find the pom poms so cute, but it would at least give them a little more bling!
I did quite of bit of carding and spinning on my two snow days this week. Here's what I carded.
Selection includes Midnight Blue, Coral, Peacock, Bronze (looks yellow), and Terra Cotta.
It may not look like much, but this is about the equivalent of half a fleece! I crammed a lot of wool in these two containers.
I also did a little spindle spinning and spun and plied a whole hank of 3 ply yarn, perfectly balanced of course.
And I spent some time on the Spin Off Spin/Knit eMag that my sister bought for me. Beautiful!
You see, there's still some good that comes from every kind of weather!
