Tuesday, March 12, 2013

I'm sorry, I wasn't listening

READING
If you've been trying to get my attention lately, I may not have heard you.  For the last couple of days I've been listening to another audio book, only this time, I got it from my local library.  While I have an Audible account, I only get one book per month and it will be another week before I get another credit.  My county library system has a method for checking out audio books online and downloading them to your iPod.  I've used the system with my Kindle and with my PC, but this time I'm ultra-portable and flying through yet another book (in my back pocket).

 This book is called Still Life by Louise Penny, and is the first in her Inspector Gamache series.  She is such a good writer, and I am consistently pausing the story to jot down a memorable quote.  Now that's good writing!

KNITTING
The little Walnut Socks are done and have already been worn and thrown into the dirty clothes hamper!  I sit at my desk with cold feet half the time, wishing I had some warm footies to wear.  Now I'm determined to keep a little drawer full of hand knit socks just for that purpose, right close to my desk.  Of course, by the time the weather warms up will be about the time I get around to gathering up a slew of those warms socks. 
Its the thought that counts, right?

Handspun, Handknitted Walnut Footies


SPINNING
My garage is the perfect place lately for carding, with the temps rising above 50 degrees daily.  Today I even left the garage door open for a bit so that I could card with fresh air, even though I had my little heater on.
I try to get all my chores done (the ones I plan on anyway) in the early part of the day so that I can eat some lunch and spend a little time on my hobbies in the early afternoon.  I also dyed some wool today while I was in the garage carding.  I'll post pics of that soon, but right now its drying.
The carding has been prep work for the dyeing, so I can't really post pics of that either. Dang.
This evening though, instead of working on the sea waves throw, I sat down for a bit with my Kromski and spun a watermelon-looking combo of wool roving.

The green is very much like watermelon rind, and makes my mouth water even when I type it.  And the red is the exact color of the watermelon Bubble Yum gum I used to chew back in the day. (My dentist thanks you, Bubble Yum!)
 PERSONAL
This is the part of the blog where I usually wax philosophical, get deep or even sarcastic.  I wish I were like my husband, who is a professional writer. He's deep and has lots of meaning when he writes.   I am an ordinary person with deep convictions, but very shallow motivations when it comes to writing.  I either like something and write about it, or don't bring it up at all.
However, in this case, I'm going to say something a bit more controversial.  Yes, you know what's coming.  I'm going to talk about television.  Now you may not be a person who watches TV, and I'm sure you've guessed by now that I watch television every day.  And I'm willing to watch, or at least try to watch most programs within reason.  But tonight, I said goodbye to a show I've been watching lately that just crossed the line.  I hate when that happens.  I hate when I've purposely chosen to be open minded and give the benefit of the doubt to something that just flat out lets me down.  C'mon TV show producers! REALLY?  Are we that bad off, that you have to make shows that are so, so pitiful?  Can we just try to take it up a notch?
I realize that Americans have a reputation for putting up with a lot of junk, but even I'm putting my foot down tonight.  Tonight I'm done with a show that started off great, but somehow veered off the road into nowhere-land.  I guess I'd rather not watch television if that's what its come to. Sorry Charlie!