Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Shiver Me Timbers



I just shivered.  I mean it.  Just now, I literally shivered, and you wanna know why?  Because I just cut through a small piece of knitted fabric on purpose!! Yikes!  I just STEEKED!
Okay, if you're not familiar with the term "steek" or why that would make me shiver, then let me back up and explain a couple of things.

First, the term steek, in knitting means to cut through a portion of knitting just like you were cutting through fabric.  It is intentional, and meant to achieve what the definition implies - to pierce and enclose. 

Second, the reason for my shiver was that I have made a New Years Resolution to learn how to steek, and yup, I just did it! I am so proud of myself.  I got that same feeling in my sock knitting class in Asheville when I completed a little sock ornament.  You probably got that feeling the first time you rode a bike or learned to drive a stick shift.  Small for others, but BIG for you!

So tonight, I started this project by locating a pattern and two colors of thread for the sample.
fair isle patterns with light and dark yarn

Then I cast on the specified 25 stitches for the pattern, plus 5 stitches for the steek, or 30 total stitches. 
I knit in the round following the pattern and on the 5 steek stitches, knit one light, one dark etc. to make 5 little vertical stripes.  The Center Stripe will be cut like unzipping a zipper. Right down the middle. 

Fair isle sample with steek stripes
The center light stripe is the zipper
The last step involves crocheting up, then down, either side of the zipper stripe, pulling the stitches apart. 
Crochet down from cast off edge
And crochet up from cast on edge
Cutting in the ditch

Do you see the ladder stitches?  Like teeth between purple lips!

Finally is the actual cutting of the fabric, and like I said, I literally shivered! Wow, what a cool feeling!
Starting to cut was scary!

Its Done! Like a teeny, tiny sweater!

I must give credit to Elizabeth Zimmermann who always gives me confidence.  That's what she's known for. Encouraging knitters for generations to jump in and face your fears.

 Just DO the thing that scares you to death, and you'll be surprised when its over, how little there was to be afraid of! I also must give credit to this amazing website, for showing in steps how to do everything from start to finish.  Woo hoo!!!!!!  I did it!