Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Blossom

KNITTING
As luck would have it, the little elf hat was too small for Charlotte as soon as it was made.  I have finally measured her little noggin and hope to be a better knitter/seamstress before the next bit of head gear is made!
Striped elf hat already too small

It will of course be ripped out, just like the yellow shawl.  So far I'm 0 for 2 and have no fresh ideas for knitting projects, except to keep working on this blanket.  Always a good diversion.
Knitting on the Sea Waves Blanket and sipping homemade cappucino
SPINNING
I'm done spinning this terrific green-yellow bamboo roving.  Its so shiny, but it's hard. As in, not soft.  There was no crimp in the fiber, so no bounce.  It is silky, though and will make something very nice, but nothing that needs to spring back.
Green and Yellow singles (prettier in real life!)
PERSONAL
On the day of the Boston Marathon tragedy, I had been carding some gray/blue batts on my drum carder, when my husband called me inside to watch the news report.  I'm so glad I had something to spin.  I grabbed my spindle on the way inside, because I knew before long I would need it to calm my nerves.  We all just watched the news for at least an hour, reliving 9/11 and wondering what it all was about. After that, I started warming up some dinner, and then spun with my little midi whorl spindle the rest of the evening.  God help us.

It has been a fortunate week, being so close to our granddaughter.  I have seen her 3 days in a row, and can't believe my good fortune.

View from my son's front yard - lovely hills in the distance
GARDENING
I am truly blessed to have my kids close at this time of our lives.  It cheers me so to have them over for bits of time here and there.  I also feel fortunate to have such a lovely home and back garden. It has taken 12 years to get it to this stage, but I never feel like its finished.

Snow Ball Tree in the back yard


Ajuga in bloom

Apple tree blossoms
monkey grass invaders
Real gardeners are that way.  Always moving plants, adding and taking away; dreaming of what a new flower bed or tree would look like.  Its nice to love something so much that gives such joy.

This morning I met with a couple of friends at church to pray. It's something we've been doing the last few weeks and is another thing that really truly brings me joy.  When life doesn't  make sense, it helps to pray.  I always feel better after!