Thursday, April 25, 2013

First Things First

SPINNING
I've made reference, in the last two blog posts, about a massive amount of carding underway.  When I say massive, I'm not kidding.  The silver-gray fleece came from my friend Suzanne, and my goal has been to card everything in the stash by the middle of summer.  Its actually taking longer than I'd anticipated, and I'm sure that's never happened to you. It happens to me quite a bit.  Go figure!
So here is a little photo essay of my progress.  As of today, I'm still picking and carding and have a ways to go.
Picked locks on left, unpicked upper rt, picked and carded lower rt

Unpicked locks (ounces)

Picked and carded batts


KNITTING
What Swatch?  Everybody always comments that they don't like to swatch when they do a project.  So I thought, while I'm waiting for inspiration, I'll go ahead and swatch some of my yarns, and hopefully that will light my fire, so to speak.

(Cue music for Bonanza theme song and scroll through the pictures)
double yarn through a needle gauge - size 8 needles looks about right

Knitted swatch 4.0 sts. per inch on size 8 needles
Doubled yarn looks like a size 6 needle will work

4.5 stitches per inch on size 6 needles
3 more swatches with fancy-dancy labels - only the middle yarn is handspun

GARDENING
My garden is spectacular!  Well, its looking pretty good, and here are some pictures I thought you'd like to see.  C'mon Spring!

Turnips Galore!

Itty Bitty collards
 I'm not sure why the collards are so slow - they were planted at the same time as the turnips. There's also a smattering of spinach which is also really slow growing.  
More collards and a little bucket of radishes
PERSONAL
I  had coffee with a friend this week; I just love her to death! She's so funny and easy to talk to.
My husband and I went to a birthday party for another friend on Monday night and met some really interesting music industry types.  Its Nashville, after all, so I should not have been surprised. They were all "big dogs" and the fellas had neat wives. That's where I hung out.  Chit chatting, I found that one of the gals was from Alabama, and so was her hubby!  Small world!
Last Thursday night we went to see the birthday girl in concert - she sings and plays the piano.
Last Saturday I went to a tea that was hosted by the wives of some rock band members.  It made for interesting conversation; everything from Pinterest to babies to tattoos! 
And here at home, we watched the first episode of The Dust Bowl on PBS. I've always been fascinated with this part of history, and Ken Burns  does a bang up job every time. Consider the show recommended!