Saturday, April 13, 2013

Elfin Magic

KNITTING
I told you I was gonna make a hat, and  I mean what I say, you know.  I was not kidding, and I am a woman of my word.  At least this time (sheepish and blushing)! So here is the silk hat for my little Charlotte.  The pattern is called Striped Elf Hat by Anna Daku. Free on Ravelry.


The needles are size 3 Crystal Palace Bamboo DPNs and the yarn is handspun silk. The pink I dyed myself and the white is natural. 
Striped Elf Hat
Its convincing me that spinning and knitting with silk will be my drug of choice when the weather gets really hot.  I love the feel of this yarn and I love the size of these needles.  Small enough to be quick, but large enough not to drop them a million times!

Since you are wondering (aren't you?) about whatever happened to the yellow shawl I started a few posts ago, I will give you the sad news.  Yes, its true, it was lost in a frogging incident.  I ripped it out after more than a few frustrating efforts. There will not be a film at 11:00.  I think you know why!  (too gory)

PERSONAL
On Thursday we attended a victory party for a dear family friend who ran for mayor. He won!  Woop woop! He is one of those rare, good old fashioned family men. He never speaks damaging remarks about others, but is clear about his goals and how he is different from the other candidates.  So grateful that he is our new mayor and so glad to live where I do.

New mayor of our town and his wife - great people!
 What a fun time we had! And we got to see some folks who live in our community that we never see, so that added to the occasion.

SPINNING
A few weeks ago we spent some time in Asheville, NC and I made a special effort to go by Earth Guild for some shopping.  I picked up this roving (also bamboo) and started spinning it on my little travel spindle.

Today I transferred what was already spun to a bobbin on my wheel and started spinning the rest.  It was early and I flipped on an audio book, so the time went pretty quickly.  I always forget how much I like to spin, until I sit down at the wheel and give it a go.  I'll say it again. I love to spin. 

READING
The book my father in law ordered for me came in, but not before I had downloaded a free audio version to my iPod from the library.

The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom is a classic book about a holocaust survivor from Holland who was not a Jew.  She aided families in their time of need and later she and her family paid a great price for their help.  I finished listening to the book today, but will probably read the hard copy as well.