Monday, February 15, 2010

Games People Play

It's that time again - Olympics, you know! (a line from my favorite movie)
Ravelry, yarn harlot, they're all knitting some great project that must be finished by the end of the games. I have no such project but I'm happy with what I've got on the needles at the moment anyway.
Except tonight I realized as I made olympic effort to get to the heel, that I placed the cables on the front and back of the leg instead of the sides. Now I've got to tink (un-knit) to the afterthought heel thread. Bummer.

I did find a bit of color over the weekend, to knit. This is a lovely worsted weight purple and I'm swatching in the round on 8's. DPNs are recommended to get an accurate stitch count for a sweater, or anything in the round.
I've used this pattern before and have most of my calculations already highlighted, which makes this much more appealing. Less effort to get it started.
We've had snow again today and I was able to come home early, to beat the black ice. The commute this morning was tricky and I saw the last of 4 vehicles being pulled out of ditches - doubling my commute time. I'm so thankful I arrived safely! Tomorrow may be equally tricky....

We had a wonderful lunch Sunday with another couple we are good friends with. And my husband is giving guitar lessons to their son. He's proving to be quite a talented kid! He had no real interest in music before moving here last year. Now he's well on his way. I love that about kids. They are so real and don't play games about what they're interested in. They'll tell you in a heartbeat, "I love/hate that". Sometimes you really have to read between the lines with adults. They either want approval and aren't honest, or they have an agenda which is much worse in my opinion.
Listening to politics on the radio today, I heard that another politician is leaving the ring, citing too much polarization. I'm glad somebody's speaking the truth about our political parties. Both sides have gotten downright dirty, and nobody's getting anything done. I heard a poll that said a large portion of Americans believe a random sampling from the phone book could do a better job than the Congress we have now. How sad!