This weekend the NCAA is back at it; I am rooting for Kentucky all the way. I'm not from KY but Alabama isn't in the playoffs so the Wildcats will have to do.
I'm originally from the Gulf Coast of Alabama and I had a neighbor growing up who was a really nice man, a doctor in our area who I went to occasionally. He also had two grown sons that I used to babysit for, and sometimes they'd all go out together and I'd baby sit at Dr. Phillips 'big house'. Dr. Phillips had a hobby of selling antiques, or as he joked, archaeology. One of his sons became an antique dealer and the other who taught me 6th grade history, was in furniture restoration.
This spring a special mini-series is on HBO, called The Pacific. It features Dr. Phillips and his buddy, "Sledge".
They fought in the war at Guadalcanal and were heroes once upon a time. I never knew this. Dr. Phillips was just a kind older gentleman, with a bunch of grandchildren I used to babysit. Who knew? I even got to feeling bad about the fact that as a little girl, I never really realized all this. Then it occurred to me yesterday that this is exactly why our troops fight and sacrifice their lives. So that little 10 year old girls can play with their dolls safely and happily, without fear. Thank you, Dr. Phillips, for your sacrifice!