Friday, March 12, 2010

Basic Instincts

Whether we realize it or not, some things are just IN us. We are born with certain basic qualities and needs that just don't go away. I know that the need to eat, breathe and sleep are pretty much at the top. I love to eat, I love to take a deep breath, and I love my bed.

Last night I got a good night's sleep after a fun visit with my son and his girlfriend. I had already planned to cook from a Saving Dinner recipe; chicken was thawed and ingredients bought over the weekend. It was a surprise to have company, so what a treat to come home and cook for 4 instead of 2!

Amber mentioned that she wanted to learn to cook more fresh vegetables and I gladly shared some recipes I had that all used very fresh ingredients. She took my notebook home to try some out and I was immediately inspired. This morning I read a bunch of cooking (foodie) blogs and am inspired to clean out my pantry and fridge!
We will probably make a trip to Costco today, and maybe a health food store. The popular ones today are a far cry from the old school earthy ones from years ago. Now they are just like the regular supermarkets, selling high priced fancy stuff. I used to shop at two really great stores when the kids were small. One was basically a soul food grocery store where you could buy brown paper bags of turnip greens, cheap bunches of broccoli and major bags of potatoes. The other store was a health food store that sold small amounts of cool things, and had a large bulk spice and grain section. My mom always bought our fruits and vegetables at Jimmy Lowe's fruit stand, on our way home from school. They're still in business by the way!
Tomorrow some girlfriends are coming over to watch Gone with the Wind. My friend's daughters have never seen the movie and we both thought it would be fun to have a girl's night. My daughter might be joining us as well, although she and I have both seen the movie. I love the part where Scarlett is foraging around in the trampled garden and finds a small root vegetable. She's very hungry and gets a resolve to never let this happen to her again! You go girl!!

(sorry for the blurry shots - it's raining!)
Update on lettuce and spinach~