Saturday, March 20, 2010

Moving right along

It's so nice and warm outside today - I can hardly resist buying a whole flat of flowers and putting them out. But I know better. The word around here is that anything 'warm weatherish' should be planted after tax day. So I will resist. But there's enough budding and blooming to satisfy my urges already. I have a few trees planted in the back yard that have begun to flourish and show signs of growth.
The forsythia bush has bloomed.


My snowball tree has budded, as well as the apple tree behind it.

And even my river birch is showing signs of new growth.
The little tree next to it is a deciduous pine that I planted too close to the birch. I'm sure it needs a lot more water than it gets, and it is hanging in there, with big brother looking over his shoulder. (It's almost not fair.)

And of course I have to show the True Leaves of my greens! I'm so thankful that they've made it.
The little leaves are the ones that surround the 'seed' but the larger ones are the true spinach leaves. I also have some mesculin lettuce.
You can just start to see the red leaf of the lettuce starting to come out.

I got up this morning with no other desire than to spin, and spin I did. This is the last of the Alice fleece that didn't get spun with the rest. It was just right to spin while watching you tube videos of the Knit Picks mitten KAL.
My dear son and his girlfriend came over. Things are moving right along for them and we're having lots of 'talks' lately. Good stuff!
Last night before they arrived, we had a dinner guest who was just leaving. He is a friend from our church who will be helping us update some websites. Very fun time learning about his family history (grandma was in Japan when the bomb went off - she's got cancer now). He shared his ideas and even told some fun and interesting music stories. I felt great about our time together and he and my husband are cut from the same cloth. It was like two little boys playing trucks together in the sandbox. (Meanwhile I watched a little bit of the Syracuse game on TV.)Like I said, things are moving right along!!