Thursday, July 22, 2010

Granny's Square

The last few days I've been in a nearby town doing some work with an acquaintance from my previous job. She owns a company that specializes in doing any kind of work a client might need done, and those jobs range from errands, cleaning, shopping, decorating and dog walking to waiting for the cable guy.
So she put together a team this week and I came along. We cleaned a prison.

Yes, a prison. The buildings are newly renovated and there's a lot of sheet rock dust when construction is over with. I have mopped, cleaned, wiped, carried buckets and sprayed stainless steel until my fingernails are down to nothing. I am truly, deeply tired today. And anxious to get back to my knitting.
I started this several days ago and I'm thrilled at how fast it's coming together.
The yarn is naturally colored gray wool - cabled, which means two strands of plied yarn spun back together in the same direction as the single.
The yarn is fat and the pattern is something I kind of made up. The equivalent of a knitted granny square. I got the idea from Knitting Rules.

If you noticed the beautiful chair, and I hope you did, you might like to know where it came from. It is an antique that was newly redone by my brother and my mom. The piece was my husband's grandmother's and the springs had come apart long ago. I'd always meant to fix it and never did once I went back to work.

When my son told me he was getting married, I thought it would make a lovely gift.
I took it to my parent's house in June and we re-worked the straps. The rest was done without me and that's probably why it looks so darn good. I take no credit whatsoever!