Saturday, July 24, 2010

Weaving with Patti

Some people don't like Patti LaBelle but that's okay. I don't like everything she's done, but it's easy to listen to, especially when you're weaving. (keepin' it on the DL)

I spun some lovely lavender with other leftover bits of carded wool and came up with this yarn.

The loom still has lots of warp left on it, and I have found I need to use weft yarn that has a similar thread as the warp, in this case white. So the leftover yarn is plied with white.


When you weave, as I have learned, there is an up and down to every pass. When I pass from left to right, the reed is in the 'up' position.

From right to left, the reed is 'down'.

In order to be consistent with tension, I make a small concave shape with the yarn before beating it with the reed. To pull it tight draws in the outside warp threads.

I've enjoyed being inside during the hot part of the day today, since the temps are hitting 100 degrees or so. I watered the garden this morning and am proud of my produce. Here are some brag photos, including a cantaloupe I didn't even plant. It just came up, probably from my composted soil from last year.




I had my first deep fried Twinkie last night. Oh my. It's what you'd imagine; very rich and surely regrettable calorie wise. But very tasty anyway!
We brought homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream to the 'company picnic' last night and I never got to taste it. I'm assuming it was good, since the container was empty when I went to retrieve it before we left. I will have to make some more tomorrow after church!