Today has been a God-send kind of day. Do nothing, relax, and eat junk kind of day. I’ve completed the foot of the Stoney River sock, with a start on the toe shaping.
I finished the majority while watching a DVD of Julia Child from 1962. Things were so different back then. People hosted shows based on their expertise and knowledge of the subject, not on their measurements, hair color and age (or lack of). Julia was a professional in every sense of the word. Her ability to translate a love of cooking to her audience was unmistakable.
The last episode I watched dealt with making a fish stew, very rustic by today’s standards but completely authentic to the cuisine she knew so well. This was a Mediterranean soup that let the diner remove bones and shells. That’s the way I grew up eating seafood. We ate fish off the bone, shrimp from the shell and whole crab backs were left in the gumbo. The pots and bowls were big and you needed a fork as well as a spoon to eat most meals.
Last night my husband and I made a long drive to NC and back, dropping off his father who stayed with us last week. We arrived back in time to check out an Asian restaurant for supper that served lots of seafood in its buffet. Now I know what you’re thinking. How could a girl like me possibly eat seafood from a buffet? Well, I’m here to tell you it was delicious and perfectly cooked in every way. Boiled shrimp, fried shrimp, seafood casserole and poached salmon, all quite freshly cooked. I could not have been more surprised, but will definitely go there again. Julia would have been so proud!
Anyway, getting back to knitting and the Stoney River socks. The cotton and the light blue-gray color are perfect for summer knitting. The color even reminds me of fish at a seafood market! And the bamboo needles are the right kind of summertime tool as well.
On Friday night after the wedding rehearsal, I gave the June Bug wrap to my new daughter in law for a wedding present.
(blocked and dry)I guess it wasn’t that big of a secret, but I tried my best not to knit on it out when she was around. She and my son are on their honeymoon now; a cruise to the Caribbean. I thought since the wrap was silk and white, she might be able to use it as a light shawl with a sundress.
She made a beautiful bride and is quite a lady. I was so proud of her last week, for keeping high standards when some friends really hurt her feelings. She maintained dignity and never let on how she felt. And with many friends and family members vying for answers to countless questions prior to the wedding, she kept her cool and was the picture of femininity. Only in the confines of our kitchen did she shed her little tears of frustration. God bless her!As I took today off to regroup from the company and the obligations of last week, I made time to card some wool.