Saturday, August 14, 2010

Beginning and the End

They used to say all good things must come to an end. We are all trying desperately to make all those good things keep on working well past their prime. Our bodies can only do so much and can only look young for so long. At some point the Bible says to give up for lost that which is lost.
I can testify to that, with last night being a great example. When we get a little older, our bodies want to turn in a little earlier than they used to. Staying up till eleven o'clock might have been an option as a teenager, but for me today, there's no way.
Many of our knitting projects must also come to an end , no matter how we feel about them. I put the Stoney River socks away when it was time to do the kitchener stitch closing of the second toe. I was tired of doing it and kept putting off the inevitable.
Well, today I did it. I picked up those socks, grabbed a darning needle and 'closed the book' so to speak. They're done!


And I picked up an almost identical ball of yarn that I had in my stash that just seemed to be perfect for knitting with those size 2 DPNs! I had a request several weeks ago so I just may get a head start on those tomorrow.

Still working on the gray throw, but I'm in the homestretch. The rows are so long now, it's like running around the football field in P.E. - you feel like it will never end! But I know better. All good things must come to an end.
I plan to make some kind of crochet edging that resembles a scallop, just to brighten it up. I could also do a fringe, which I haven't done in years. What do you think? Too seventies?
Then it might look like a dull poncho.....but at least it would be done sooner, right?

My husband and I will be going to a funeral this week. A close relative of my husband's aunt's has gone to be with the Lord. I know that this person's life was very special and they were loved by many, many people. A passing such as this is never easy, but when a life was lived to the fullest, and there seem to be no regrets, you can't help but exhale, knowing they are in a truly better place.