Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Coup de Grace


There's a lot of talk lately about the future of book stores and libraries. I have long been a fan of both, and as a reader, I will always be a fan. But nothing lasts forever. Mowers no longer use a scythe but a John Deere. Shopping isn't done from the Sears catalog anymore. I would much rather take a car or plane than horse and buggy on vacation. And a lot of books are bought online or downloaded to eReaders. That's just the way it is. I've read a book that makes an argument that our brains are re-routed nowadays, because of all the time we spend on the internet and on our cell phone apps. I can't agree with this guy's argument 100%. It may be true to a degree, but life goes on and things change. Some call it progress.
But I wanted to test my theory. I decided today that I would go to the library and get a really long book to read, just to test my attention span. I wanted a book that had a good reputation but was also not known to be difficult to read. This book is over 30 years old and was NYT bestseller (over 20 million copies sold) and is considered a modern classic. ** Neither of my local library systems had the book. One library only kept one copy and it was out. The other library didn't even have a copy. ** It is becoming nearly impossible for all libraries and bookstores to keep copies of all books ever made on their shelves at all times. Period. So I went home and downloaded a copy to my Kindle. And as for my attention span, I'm totally into the book. Can't wait to go to bed and get back to my nearly 700 page novel.
OK, soapbox rant is over!

This throw is beginning to look like a hoop skirt.
My friend came over last night and asked me what I was knitting. I told her what it was, but I know what she thought. It looks like a gunny sack or a duffel bag!
Then I took her outside to show her what was growing in the garden and to ask if she could identify the second picture below. She gave me her best guess but the jury is still out!