Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Shower the People

Watching a James Taylor concert video with my husband, and listening to the gentle music, beautiful melodies and charming jokes, it reminded me of years ago when my husband worked for a music company that would send us on retreats every year with the other songwriters. There was such mutual respect and admiration. Never a selfish word was uttered, and everyone always deferred to the others' judgment; lots and lots of laughs, friendly chatter and encouragement. There were people from all over the world and you've never met a more talented group of people. Any little kicking around of a tune led to the most beautiful music, effortlessly.

You can see that James Taylor is like that. Comfortable in his own skin, never belittling or demeaning others. He just is. The world really, really needs more people like that.

Well, anyway, I promised to share my progress on the DYFLWD* socks so here you go!
The cuff portion is about as long as the foot portion, unfolded of course. The heel has some silk and angora and is knit on needles two sizes smaller, for sturdiness.

I did some dyeing over the weekend and will post those pictures soon. The colors are really bright and vivid; just the thing to cheer you up if you need it. They're almost kool-aid colors, though I bought them from Cushing.

And I got the new Spin Off recently, and its got a great article on spinning wool with a Tahkli spindle.

When I get home in the afternoons now, I am free to spend a little time knitting, spinning or working in the garden. What a welcome change from before! And now that the weather is cooling off a bit, I am even more inspired to do some weeding and re-planting (that means moving plants that just didn't work in their current location).
P.S. I have a random acorn squash plant that's got two squashes on it right now!

* DYFLWD - do you feel like we do?