Saturday, August 7, 2010

Evidence that demands a verdict

When my daughter in law moved into her new apartment, a little chair looked at me with the saddest eyes, trying to get my attention to save it. A large lion (or kitty) had clawed the arms of this little chair and I feared the chair would be put down, so I suggested that I could make a slipcover for this sweet little critter. My mom brought me some fabric last month and I grabbed my sewing machine from the closet today to make this cloak of invisibility.

Leftovers from surgery.


The surgeon.

The patient in recovery.

Can you tell I watched a few episodes of House while I sewed today? All these references to medicine?

But I don't take the opportunity to sew much anymore, mostly because making my own clothes is not any cheaper than buying them at the store.

I used to though - make my own clothes. Especially when I was single. I was making all kinds of skirts and jumpers, blouses and even covered belts and buttons. I was quite the seamstress. And I worked for a while in a medical office so my sewing became little white 'nurse' dresses and skirts. One time I made a skirt out of a pillowcase and no one was the wiser. (Please don't tell!)

When the kids were born, I sewed a lot and also made things for the home, but eventually I put the machine back in the closet and now I only get it out every once in a while. Sewing comes right back to you though, like driving a stick shift. Funny how that stuff stays with you, for years and years, even when you're sure you could never pull it off again, from out of nowhere, you just know what to do!