I have spent days trying to find inspiration for this pair of socks and I finally found it this morning. I woke up early and decided to have one more try at it. I looked at an old Mary Englebreit calendar that was on the shelf and knew that was it. I had all the right colors to start the socks and only needed to make a swatch to determine the stitches per inch (SPI).
I wound the hanks into center pull balls and began to do the calculations once I'd made the swatch.
I have a great sock calculator that takes all the numerical information and formulates your cast on, distances, etc. (When I lived near Asheville, I took a sock knitting class that has paid for itself countless times! )
So, I want these socks to turn out right and my sister and I have about the same size foot; her's is a 6 1/2 and I wear a 7, but it's close enough. So I measured my ankle, foot and the swatch, plugged in the numbers and filled in the blanks.
I've started with a 2x2 rib and will continue all the way to the heel flap. Then I'll switch to plain stockinette. Hopefully by Tuesday night I'll have some decent progress photos to share. I'm so excited!!!