Friday, October 23, 2009

Alternate Route

North Carolina is one of the prettiest places in America, and fall is definitely the time to visit. The mountains, hills and leaves all make a beautiful display of God's creation. I am blessed to have lived in the state for even a short time.
We moved to NC in 1997, twelve years ago and much has changed in the years since we moved away. But some things haven't changed. Everyone knows each other, there are lots of independently owned businesses and still plenty of undeveloped real estate. The pace is slower than where I live now so it makes for an ideal getaway location. We visited this weekend, to check on my father in law, who lives alone (82 yo) and I was able to meet with a dear friend for coffee - we've known each other over 20 years. In fact, she's known my husband's family since before I met him.

I also visited a great local bookshop that I just love to frequent. The building is shaped like a Swiss chalet and there's a fireplace with two wooden staircases leading to loft book areas. I noticed plenty of autographed copies lying around, and there seemed to be lots of book signings scheduled. This in a town of 5,000. I scratched my head until my girlfriend told the me the shop was bought by a famous author who lives nearby. Wow. No wonder it felt so cozy and inviting. I did buy a book by Peter Mayle and a candle (both 1/2 price).

I am back home now, and catching up on things, unpacking and looking at the grocery list for next week.

Driving in the mountains, I noticed something. Steep inclines are made more bearable by tacking back and forth. Sometimes you don't realize how steep it was until you look in your rear-view mirror. (Life lesson, there, for this girl.)


I took my knitting along and made a teensy bit of progress. Maybe later tonight I will get in a few more rows.

(Before & After)