Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tearing Down and Building Up

I've got this great wool in the garage, like bags of money - just waiting for me to come and get it. So I do! I card a batch, spin it and knit it. What a commodity!

I learned something from my friend selling my yarn at the fair. People don't want a lot of a certain thing, just enough to satisfy their craving (or impulse). So I decided to just make a single skein of very exotic yarn. Wool, silk and angora.

Three strands spun together with just enough sheen to make a strong but lovely extravagant yarn.

The wool of course is shorn from the sheep, angora trimmed from the rabbit and the silk harvested from cocoons. Cutting away something from it's natural environment then used in a totally different way. I have a friend on the show Biggest Loser (she threw a housewarming for my mother after rebuilding from Katrina). She, Liz, is losing weight to make herself better.
I left work today, losing my mind, finding it later while eating fish tacos and watching my TiVo'd episode of Castle.

I hope to make something useful and even exotic when I spin. Maybe the Lord looks at us the same way. Turning life's brutal cuts into something beautiful.
I'm looking forward to a little building up this Friday night - my friend is throwing a weenie roast at her house and she's one of those folks that always leaves you better than when you came!