Friday, October 14, 2011

Drive

The other day I brought my spinning wheel downstairs to spin when I realized the drive band on my wheel had broken.
Sad spinning wheel
The drive bands nowadays are often made of plastic.  In order to make a plastic drive band fit your wheel and to be able to get it onto the wheel is way more tricky than you would be interested in hearing about.  I will say, though, that the last time I did it, I burnt my fingers melting hot plastic.  Hot melted plastic on human skin is less fun than you can imagine.  Oh em gee.
leftover drive bands
The winner!

Now I'm using an old fashioned string tied in a knot.  That's all.

Replacement!
Most people mistake the drive band for the yarn and the yarn for the drive band.  I  know I did.  There are lots of strings and things on a spinning wheel, with lots of funny names.
Happy Day spinning wheel!
In my old blog, I did a post about the parts of a drum carder that have downright dirty names.  The new Spin Off magazine has an article that definitely made my husband raise his eyebrows!  Ah, the good old days.  They named the parts  of these contraptions when nothing had a double meaning.  Now everything has a double meaning.

Like the (B)drive band.  Today drive means to move your car and band means a group of guitar players and singers.  (F)Mother of all  sounds like you're cussing in traffic.  (A)Fly wheel sounds like a cool car.  And of course who can forget (J)footman, (K)orifice, orifice hook, (E) maiden and (G)tension knob?  Holy Cow!