Monday, October 10, 2011

Ripped Off

I looked at the weather report for today and noticed an alert for my parents' city, which I have bookmarked on my weather page.  The alert was for rip currents.  You see, they live on the coast.
I am landlocked in beautiful, hilly Tennessee.  No danger here, as the breeze is minimal and the sun is shining with a high around 80 degrees.  Funny how things like rip tides are front and center for some folks but not for others. 

Last night I had my own rip tide.  I ripped out for the second time the Butterscotch glove. Wiggly yarn piled on the floor where I pulled out all the stitches and then had to rewind the ball of yarn.  I'm a learnin'!
The Celtic knot was not going to happen for the Knotty Glove pattern no matter how hard I tried, so I gave up on it and ripped it out.
Celtic twist - RIP

Then I tried a vintage glove pattern yesterday but found that it would probably fit Tina Fey's hands on the cover of Bossypants.  Way too big!
So I ripped it out, again.  Again.  Then I started a 1x1 rib with a lot less stitches and got a much more delicate looking glove.  At least it looks that way so far. 
Vintage glove pattern

Sometimes you have to do things several times before you get it right.  Lots of books are out there on failure and its necessity before finding success.  That's okay.  I'm a learnin'!  I'll get it right eventually.
First glove with thumb stitches marked off

This weekend  was primarily a family time for me.  My son and his wife took us on a little sightseeing trip Friday and we happened upon a strange little shop of horrors after our meat & three lunch.  It was an antique shop that seemed to focus on the macabre and morbid.  Strange items that gave us all the creeps.  So we moved on to the ice cream shop down the way.  Apparently its owned by the parents of the guy who runs the Bates Motel Antique-O-Rama.  The older man and his wife who served up the hot fudge sundaes had a strange demeanor, that I could not quite put my finger on.  After we all got in the car, we got out our cell phones and started Googling the places we'd visited and the little town.  Bingo.  Confirmation that the willies we felt were probably justified.  I'll just say that the ghost tours in this little town on Halloween weekend will probably deserve a  segment on Ghost Hunters!
Antique spinning wheel and swift