Thursday, October 6, 2011

Twist But No Shout

Some things are best saved for quiet moments of solitude; moments when you can concentrate and analyze your problem clearly. 
Tonight I reached that point in these Butterscotch Gloves where the ribbing turns into beautiful intertwined cables.  A Celtic knot, sort of. 
blurry cell phone photo
A normal cable is not a problem, but this cable pattern is 1)a bit of a challenge. Not too much, just a little.  But add to that 2)the fact that the cable needle I'm using is made of carved wood and 3)it is too large in diameter for the project I'm working on.  The difficulty level is now upped by a notch!

pattern on my laptop; clearly not helping

 4)Because I'm unfamiliar with the pattern, and I don't knit from charts, but rather from line by line instructions, I've got the pattern zoomed in on my laptop. I'm trying to figure out how to knit this dad-gum thing using hieroglyphic symbols. (FYI, football coaches just use X's and O's.)   Oh, and by the way 5)the TV is on and its kinda loud. 
I don't know what I was thinking.  This is like trying to do your taxes on your cell phone with a text message.  Not gonna work. 
"Give it up!" I can hear someone saying in a faraway voice. 
Put the needles down and  slowly walk away with your hands in the air. 
Okay I give.  I will try again tomorrow. I'll find a quiet space where I can think clearly. Someplace quiet.
But I just remembered, we're going sightseeing tomorrow.  Maybe I'll have to work on it while I'm texting and driving.  What was that, officer?