Today we went to the local Pumpkin Festival, where all the streets of the quaint downtown district are blocked off and filled with vendors and people. People who are walking dogs dressed like pumpkins and kids dressed like characters from Star Wars. Literally, there was a little boy just like the one in the commercial from the Super Bowl, only when I saw him for the last time, he was crying like he'd just found out that Darth Vader was his daddy. There was BBQ, hot dogs, fried pies and funnel cakes. What a perfect day!
![]() |
| Franklin, TN |
Earlier this week, I really needed a break. Its not often that I do, and usually knitting or spinning will help, but on that particular day, it was urgent that I get away for the day. So I went to a local botanical garden that I'd never visited before. It was wonderful. My husband joined me and we meandered around plants I'd never heard of. Plants with names like Bear's Breeches and Curry.
![]() |
| Bear's Breeches |
I thought curry was a spice that came from a mixture of other spices. I had no idea there was a real live curry plant. But if you stop and rub the leaves gently between your fingers and smell them, you will absolutely smell the curry.
![]() |
| Thyme |
I stopped and smelled the oregano, basil, rosemary and mint. Such a treat, and exactly what I needed to feel better. Life can be challenging, and sometimes its more than you can handle. Those are the times to stop the clock, take a time out, and pull yourself together. For me it meant going outdoors for a few hours and smelling the
My dear, lovely daughter told me last week that she found a picture of some socks that she really wanted me to make for her. Here is that picture.
![]() |
| Inspirational cable socks |
Not being one to shy away from a challenge, I went-a-diggin through all my stitch pattern books and found a couple that would work with the yarn she had chosen.
The yarn dictates the needle. That gives you a figure called, "stitches per inch". If the yarn and appropriate needle give you 4 SPI or 8 SPI, then you have to multiply that number times the number of inches around the ankle or calf. If you calf is 10 inches around and the yarn gives you 4 stitches per inch, you'll need to start with 10 times 4 or 40 stitches.
![]() |
| Cable challenge socks |
I started the sock with a 1x1 rib and am using an 8 stitch cable and a honeycomb cable pattern. These may take a while, since I'm not one to shy away from a challenge!







