Saturday, October 1, 2011

Warped Minds

The whole world of weaving has always intimidated me.  Just the idea of warping the loom; all those pegs on the warping board, keeping everything from getting tangled, I just can't feel relaxed when I think about it.  And this is supposed to be a hobby, something I do for fun.  The last thing I need is more stress!
Direct warp video and unsuspecting loom

Ah...but then I heard about direct warping and thought, "That's got my name written all over it!" Not the warped part, but the ability to skip the huge task of looping yards of thread onto the warping board only to take it off and try to put it all on the loom without getting tangled up.

I read about the idea of direct warping a while ago and found this video which makes it look a heck of a lot easier than it actually is.  But its still better than the old way of using a warping board.
So today, I got some brown cotton thread, pulled up a chair and went to town warping my loom.
Peg with loops - ready for battle


winding on the beater bar



Un-tangled





Rigid heddle loom action figure, otherwise known as a shuttle


There were some near catastrophic moments today, I won't lie!  But I am old enough to stay calm and not panic, no matter how bad it looks. Tangled threads, loops that went nowhere.
Surely there had to be a way to fix it! And there was. :-)
Stabilizing threads holding down the fort

So, drama over, I've got some stay-put threads in place waiting for the rest of the gang to show up.

Tonight we have a guest staying in the house, all the way from my hometown.  It's my niece! Her college group will be playing at a nearby church tomorrow morning, so she stopped by for the night while they're in town.  She's catching us up on all the news from "back home"'; conversations about kids whose parents I knew and grew up with.  Parents that I have stories about, and parents whose kids think their parents never, ever got in trouble. Funny how the years do nothing to stop you from remembering bullies, snobs and cliques.  I am plenty old enough to forget the past, but I still have vivid memories of being taunted, teased and humiliated by kids who thought they were just being funny.  And they probably were funny.  For a minute.  But in my warped mind, those awful little rhymes and remarks are still as fresh as a fifth graders number two pencil.