Monday, January 14, 2013

Bad Boys

After a full house for the weekend, I felt the need to sit on the couch last night, with my knitting and a glass of wine to watch Downton Abbey. A great weekend remembered is a beautiful thing. I'm so thankful!

We love our family and our home and feel blessed when we have company; it is a pleasure to give back just a little of what we've received over the years.  Hospitality is so important here in the South, and I plan to keep up the tradition as best I can.
Two needle mitten pattern and homespun wool
KNITTING
The knitting I picked up is worsted weight Lilac wool and a two-needle mitten pattern from my friend.  I've never done this pattern, but it seems quick and fun, a great start for the new year.

The needles are these bad boys: (straight needles are getting a bad reputation!) a pair of Inox size 9's and a pair of Bates size 7 vintage aluminum.
Bad boys of knitting needles!
Inox 9's just looking for trouble!

bad boy Bates!

After working with circulars and dpn's, these feel like you're eating spaghetti with a post-hole-digger.  They are long and weighty and cumbersome.  But......the slippery-factor is a 10 on a scale of 1-10!
thumb increases

While watching the show last night, (accompanied by my father in law, who asks more questions than a 7 year old girl on the way to the Build A Bear store) I had to prop the needles under my arm and across my knees to keep them stable.  But....again, the slippery factor made it worth my while!  EZ Knitting!

SPINNING
I'm contemplating the Ravelry Spindlers monthly challenge. Each month you have to spin and ply a skein of yarn on a spindle.  This month's challenge has to be something to do with rainbows, but I can't remember the title exactly. I have a whole storage closet of wool just waiting to be spun, so I may have to light a fire in the fireplace sometime today and do a little wool blending on my new combs.

PERSONAL
Today we say goodbye to an unseasonably warm weekend, filled with tornado warnings on our cell phones, and taking shelter in the hall during football games.  Today it is supposed to snow/sleet, but they call it a wintry mix.  How sweet!  I'm hoping they give everybody a snow day.  :-)

I've been trying to finish a book I started before the end of last year, but instead, I quickly completed a small gift book I got a couple of weeks ago.  A Gift from the Sea by Anne Lindbergh. 

Hopefully this week I'll finish my mystery, so I can start on my reading goals for the new year.  I did, however, get out my iPod last week, and listen some more to Laura Bush's biography, that I got a couple of years ago, and never finished.  Thanks to Audible, I have lots of great books, but I am behind on at least a few!