Saturday, January 19, 2013

House of Hues

Homemade bread using my treasured Kitchenaid Mixer

Love this quote from Matthew Henry:

     "The world is a great house consisting of upper and lower stories, the structure stately and magnificent, uniform and convenient, and every room well and wisely furnished." 

Wherever you live in the world (I live in North America, near Nashville) you probably have some sort of dwelling you call home.  Maybe an apartment or condo, maybe a house or mobile home, maybe a dorm or even a tour bus.  But the world at large is kind of like a house, and the quote above reminds me of that.  We live in a beautiful, fully furnished world, we just need to take a look around, sometimes to appreciate it!

KNITTING
On a recent trip to the library, I found the Treasury of Knitting by Barbara Walker, and brought it home.  For any of you non-knitters, this is THE encyclopedia of stitch patterns, and there are several volumes.  This is volume one, and I decided to swatch a little Meyer Lemon Yellow wool yesterday.
mismatched needles, size 3

one and a half pattern repeats

The wool is tiny and so are the needles, so one swatch was all I was interested in.  I'm a bit under the weather, and kind of drugged up, frankly.  (Thank you Dayquil/Nyquil!)

SPINNING
I've been working on this Ecru colored mohair blend on my Kromski wheel.  It is has a bit of sparkle and halo but is not very squishy.
carded, spun and plied Mohair blend
People often ask if its the preparation (carding or spinning) that makes a yarn full and comfy, but its really not.  Mostly the actual fiber itself is the culprit.  If the staple (think hair) is curly or straight, the resulting yarn will probably be the same. 

PERSONAL
My friend, Debra, and I had our first wine tasting of the year.  She opened up her home graciously, providing snacks and two bottles of wine.  I brought two bottles as well, and along with our husbands, merrily sipped a little bit of each wine (really only three of them) and made our decisions.  All agreed that a 2005 Russian Moldova wine had gone bad and was a definite thumbs down (tasted like licorice). The bottle of Red Guitar wine from Spain was thumbs up by everyone, and the Pinot Noir I brought was pretty good.  All of them were red so we did not open the Cupcake wine.
My contributions - both under $10

I am excited about a new Bible study I'll be going to on Tuesday mornings.  Its close by, and we're using a Beth Moore book.  I love Beth Moore, and think she's a hoot! 
I am mostly excited about getting to know some girls in my community.  Looking forward to making new friends from my church.