Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Upstairs Downstairs Upgrades


We have two and a half baths in our house; one full bath upstairs and one and a half baths downstairs.  Most of the time, overnight guests use the upstairs bathroom, where the guest bedroom is. When people come over for dinner, they use the downstairs half bath, just off the kitchen.  Since we've been updating things around the house this year, the time has come to tackle these particular bathrooms and I am so glad to have one "under the belt" so to speak.  The upstairs bath has been repainted and the light fixture and towel bar upgraded. Woo hoo!!
Today we're working on the downstairs half bath, having already taped and cut-in the corners and edges for painting with a small paint brush.  Last night we bought the upgraded light fixture, t.p. holder and towel ring.  My dear husband has his work cut out for him! 
My dear husband (he looks shorter in this toolbelt)
 We're working quickly since this is the bath my father in law uses.  He moved in with us a year and a half ago, and lots of places around the house bear his mark.  This little bath has all his what-nots on the counter, and the bathroom has become less and less a guest, powder room, and more and more a pharmaceutical display.  Hopefully, as we update the little room, it will return to its former state.  :-)
Budget updates for the bathroom!
KNITTING
After starting the cute little hat for my daughter, knit in the round from an angora blend yarn in my stash, I found it to be really large and loose.  I realize my daughter has a head full of lovely blonde hair, but I doubt it will ever fill up this beret!  Maybe if her hair were in curlers, like back in the 70's......
Finishing the top of the angora hat!
Frogged  2x2 ribbing - yikes!
 So, anyway, I picked up a row of live stitches just above the ribbing, and frogged the lower portion.
For a while I felt like I was undoing knots from a fishing net.  What a mess I made! 
But now, I've got things semi under control, and will check with her before I re-knit the band.  With significant decreases this time. 

SEWING
Last week I pulled out the cutting board and made an attempt at sewing a crib sheet for my granddaughter. She's three months old now, and extra crib sheets are always handy.  We have several barely used sheet sets from my father in law's previous home, and I thought they'd be the perfect re-purpose project.  Its a fitted sheet and they are always tricky to fold, but thanks to Pinterest, I've got it covered!
Know when to fold 'em!