Friday, January 4, 2013

Simpatico - agreeable, likable

Now that winter is in full swing, the obvious thing to do is think about spring. Right?  I mean, we all long for cooler weather when its warm, wish for snow at Christmas, but once January is here, we grab the only bits of daylight available and dream of warm, sunny weather.  

I just remembered that my salmon colored tulips on the hill will be blooming soon enough, and the soil will need enrichment before you know it.  That excites me!  I love spending time on the patio, cooking out on the grill and walking around the back yard, checking out all my plants. I guess we all  must look to magazines and seed catalogs to get our fix until its warm enough to go outside and play again.

This morning I went to a friend's house.  She is a shepherdess, and she raises Shetland sheep.  She also keeps French Angora rabbits. I went by to purchase some of her angora, for spinning, and while I was there I saw she had one lone bag of cashmere wool.  Last year, one of my few spinning goals, and the only one I did not keep, was to spin some cashmere. 

How cool was that, to walk into her parlor and see that bag sitting in the box of Angora bags?  It practically had my name written on it!! 
French angora and cashmere - heavenly!

But I was determined to buy some angora and could not afford to spend all my money on the cashmere, so I asked if I could buy half a bag, or about 1.5 ounces.  She reluctantly said yes, and told me that the one bag was entire year's supply from one animal.  A whole year for only 3 oz. of usable fiber! Of course it had to be combed (dehaired) which was very laborious.  I can't tell you how precious this little bit of goodness is to me! 
I also bought about 4 oz of Shetland/angora blend blue roving. I feel like I've been to the fair and come home with one of those huge Teddy Bears!  Wow.