Saturday, January 26, 2013

More or Less

KNITTING
While this blog should essentially be about knitting, I am after all, the boss of me (and my blog) and can write about whatever I want to.  I can even end sentences with prepositions, and use commas, whenever I want to.  But eventually the subject should return to knitting, and so, here finally is a post with some serious knitting content.

My yarn stash is divided into 4 color sections, plus a gray basket and a natural white basket.  The color bins are blue/aquas, greens/yellows, peach/melons, and pinks/reds .





These divisions have worked well with the number of skeins in each category, but they also served to inspire my new project.  Looking through them reminded me of the Ab Fab throw kits from a few years ago.  They run about $200 and they seem to basically be done in the Feather and Fan pattern.
Colinette Ab Fab Throw - $190

So I dumped the blue/aqua bin onto my work table and started picking yarns that I liked.  I came up with these colors, and added white and  purple; seven colors in all.
Feather and Fan Scrap Project
Cast on 144, knit two rows, row 3 is k2togs and yarn overs, and row 4 is knit.  Size 10 1/2 Inox needle.

I did decide to use stitch markers to keep me on track, but I paid no attention to them in the second round.  Why, you ask?  Because I'm the boss of me and I work for an idiot.  Why pay attention to the stitch markers?  When I got to the end of the row, it was clear that I should have paid attention to the markers.  Then I had to UN-KNIT the entire row of 144 stitches!   Why start off on the wrong foot, when I could correct the mistake without a lot of hassle?  So I did.  Good for me!

PERSONAL
While I am a "clogs" kind of girl, life threw me a curve ball recently.  I asked my DH to take my squeaky clogs to the shoe repair store at the mall, and he promptly told my DH that the shoes couldn't be repaired and that I should just chuck them; break down and buy some real shoes, lady! (Okay, maybe he didn't say exactly that, but I bet he was thinking it. I sure was.)
So I got some inexpensive suede boots while shopping with my daughter around Christmas time.  Today will be the perfect day to wear them, as we are experiencing the dead of winter, I mentioned earlier.  I wore my Jacob scarf to the grocery store yesterday, and my old faithful red gloves, knit many years ago, but still going strong!   Its good to have a chance to wear all these warm knitted creations when its so cold and wet outside!

SPINNING
The beautiful ecru roving is finished!  Time to move on, if that closet full of wool is going to get spun up this year.
Ecru Mohair
 
READING
I have ditched the idea of reading first lady biographies this year.  They are fluff, as far as I'm concerned, and not worth my time.  Where are all the real, meaty bios of women leaders??
So instead, the first biography of the year is Wild by Cheryl Strayed, audio version from Audible. While I'm  a little suspect about some of the stories in her book, she does have a disclaimer at the beginning.  Good thing, 'cause if I didn't know better, I'd say her creative license has expired.