Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Not for the faint of heart (or lung)

Recently I cleaned out a lovely wooden box that held my late mother in law's sewing notions.  There were some great multi generational buttons like these. Pretty cool.

I also cleaned up some odd bits of trim and zippers that my mom gave me, probably from her mom.  A large piece of trim was wrapped around this; a reminder of a day when smoking was cool.
cigarette ad on the back of a matchbook

Mad Men Burn Test?

I finally got to the bottom of my sewing desk to reacquaint myself with my sewing machine - old but very functional.

Sometimes its nice to remind ourselves of the things we cherish, by way of a little cleaning and tender loving care (TLC).

I have some friends that are also special to me, that I don't see often, but they're still special to me.  I got to see one of them for lunch on Monday, which was also my birthday.  She gave me this lovely Calla Lily plant!

KNITTING
I have not done any knitting since my last post and am feeling ambiguous about my next project. Elizabeth Zimmerman, patron saint of knitting, pray for me!  

SPINNING
All I can say about my new spindles is HOLY MOLY.  They are the bomb!
 (Its like when you got your new notebook and pens/pencils for school.  You were quickly becoming a published author in your own mind, but all you could come up with was a really cool way to write your name.)
This is my cashmere on the new Bosworth mini.  Just lovely.


And this is the Shetland/Angora blend I got a few weeks ago, spun on the Bosworth midi.

READING
I've been reading The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton and while I've not gotten very far, I love the way it makes me feel when I'm reading it.  Very much a back-in-time kind of thing.

PERSONAL
I mentioned that my birthday was Monday.  I don't mind getting older.  I really mean that; life just gets better and better.  I have so much to be thankful for, especially at this stage of life.
Here are some mustache pics from our get-together Sunday.  I was sick so we just ordered pizza and watched football. Why not?
my daughter & her husband - both spies

my granddaughter - being vetted to serve as the next UN Ambassador

my son and his wife - both opera stars from Italy

I forgot to shave!
Charlotte and her grandpa watching football - she loves it!