What a beautiful day. Absolutely beautiful. I've been hoeing in the flower beds, getting them ready for winter. The number of leaves are greater than the number of weeds and that's probably because of the low amounts of rainfall this summer. Either way, the flower bed is a haven for me. It's a tranquil place where no one criticizes me or asks me to do more than I want to do. No wonder Jesus retreated to a garden. No wonder the first thing God did with His yard was make the Garden of Eden.
It inspires me to spin lovely colors and knit with them. I have this little scarf project, Seraphine, and it's colors are so reminiscent of the early fall. Greens turning to brown and faint yellows.
And I've been spinning this pretty blue wool whose colors are somewhere between the water and the sky.
The far left skein is the darkest, then a lighter skein, even lighter batch on the bobbin, waiting to be plied, and finally the lightest batch carded and ready to be spun.
And I've also carded a trial batch of shiny white mohair and the coral wool I dyed earlier in the month. So pretty!
This week started off just fine, but Wednesday and Thursday were not as good. I had to do some big-girl stuff that I didn't enjoy very much. I've been listening to Laura Bush's autobiography and her grace and restraint are incredible to me. When all the world was a real life, Mad Men, she turned out really well. Leaving behind the cocktail world and choosing fidelity, honor and quiet dignity. She really inspired me this week to say as little as possible, when I really wanted to 'let her rip', and only confront the most necessary of my battles. Oh to grow up and be like her!