Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Wool in sheep's clothing
Whenever I knit, I think about where the yarn came from; whether it's llama or wool or cotton or silk. Each one comes from a distinctly different source. Today I spent some of my time washing a sheep's fleece and picking some lovely mohair to blend later and spin.
The fleece is going to be really pretty - the staple is short and fine and full of tiny crimps . I don't know the micron count, but it's better than a lot that I've spun before.
The mohair is very close to the color of a mare. It's a warm reddish brown with a lot of shine. Very touchable.
I have a short window of time when I can reasonably card in the garage. Summer is way too hot out there and winter is way too cold. Fall and Spring are just right, said Goldilocks.
I've been keeping up with everyone's plans this fall regarding Rhinebeck and SOAR . It's sounds so wonderful every year, and every year I swear I'm going to go next year! Maybe that should be one of my new goals: to finally go to SOAR or NY Sheep & Wool. Shall we?
My husband made it safely back from his trip out west. I'm glad he's back, safe and sound, although he went straight to work this morning and won't be home till later this evening. I, of course, am headed out the door first thing in the morning myself. It's so hard for us to get on the same page, schedule wise. We hardly ever have the same day off. But we do see each other at night and in the morning. That will just have to do.
I did spend some time with my son and his lovely wife yesterday. They served me lunch at their place (my first time to dine in their new apartment!) and we took a little trip to the local Old Time Pottery. You may not have one where you live, but it's worth finding one if you can. Very large warehouse type of store with housewares and dishes and baskets and flowers and decorations. And they even have a cafe like IKEA. Wouldn't want you to leave, now, just because you're hungry! So, anyway, I got my fix for the coming holiday season. I looked at Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations and then made myself walk out empty handed - promising not to buy anything till after Halloween.