Thursday, October 21, 2010

Love Machine

When I got my new spinning wheel, I knew it was a good wheel, but I wasn't sure if it would truly replace my Ashford Traveller as "the" wheel for spinning.

Well, it has.  I love my Traveller for plying but I cannot seem to get the refined tension that I have become used to with my new Kromski Symphony.  It still feels new because my old wheel is an antique and I got my Kromski last Christmas.  I would probably spin every night if I had roving to spin, but I don't so I carded a little batt of mix and match wool earlier so that I could spin tonight.  It's funny how the most random colors blended together can make a very pretty yarn.

I think batt has the feel of a Burberry plaid.  A little brown, a little blue and some beige.  This is a lesson in color blending. I love the way the single looks.






When I sat down to knit on the couch, my little Pebble Beach sock was waiting for me.  Patiently with open arms (4 double pointed needles). I great relaxer since I had a headache when I started.  Pain killers aren't doing much good, but I have a feeling its more muscle pain and not head pain.
I've been working with all my muscle groups lately.  For about the last five months, I have moved into a whole new realm of 'work'.  Before, I sat in a cushy chair for approx. 8 hours a day in front of a computer screen, talking on the phone and typing.  Very little movement.
Now I'm doing some general housekeeping with a company that specializes in doing all the errands and 'stuff' that most people don't have time for.
This week I helped someone pack and purge closets as they are putting their house on the market.  I also cleaned up sheet rock dust from a new home under construction.  I have done some babysitting recently  and and waited for a delivery with a cute little puppy! But the thing that makes my new work so interesting is the people that we help.
I can't really say much, in fact pretty much nothing specific at all, except that they are all high end homes/clients with some degree of celebrity or notoriety.   Almost all are very, very nice and my boss is extremely attentive to her clients and employees.  I may not be doing this forever, but it has been an eye opening experience that I will never forget.  People who work in the service industry are some of the most hard working folks I've ever met.  Very little worldly applause, high expectations, and mediocre financial reward.  But the people I've been around lately are likely going to be the ones sitting next to the Lord when I go through the pearly gates. Extremely humble, gracious, kind.  I've come to really respect painters, electricians, contractors, "personal assistants" and groundskeepers.  :-)