After a wonderful day hanging out with my daughter and her hubby at a local Pumpkin Festival, I am home making chili for tomorrow's lunch and doing the calculations for the heel flap and instep, etc. for the Pebble Beach socks.
It's always better not to wing it, and I have learned the hard way. We've all seen the jokes on TV about knitted Christmas gifts: sweaters with arms long enough for orangutans, hats that would fit an elephant, and baby booties that are large enough for a five year old. I know, I know. So that's why I'm doing my math, like a good girl!
Stitches per inch, rows per inch, and the right size needles all mean a lot when you're knitting socks.
The heel flap is the first important thing after determining the number of stitches to cast on.
The heel flap is the part that comes down from your Achilles' tendon to the point where your heel meets the floor.
The heel flap consists of half the number of stitches around the ankle (60 divided by 2 equals 30). Then you knit the heel flap until it's half as long as it is wide.
So 30 stitches across is 4 inches and I knit the flap 2 inches long. Now it's time to begin the short rows!
This is by far the thing that keeps a novice knitter from becoming an advanced knitter. Fear. Fear of short rows. (And tomorrow is Halloween; how scary can it get?)
So I've made my chili for tomorrow's lunch. We'll eat at my son's apartment after church and then head over to the fall festival for the afternoon. I'm volunteering at the mini-golf booth. Rory McIlroy I'm not!